As far as safety tips in a tornado, here a few brief things you may or may not already know:
- If in the car, pull into a ditch or on the shoulder and leave the car running. With the car running, it will deploy the airbags if needed; whereas if the vehicle is off the airbag will not deploy.
- If in the basement, under the stairs is a good location due to the added structural integrity (or of course a room with no windows).
- If unable to get to a basement, laying in the bathtub can protect from flying debris.
- If able, take a cell phone, charger, food/water, axe or tool for removing debris if trapped, first aid kit, whistle, flashlight and batteries, crank powered emergency radio, etc...
- Always have a disaster/emergency plan for your family and practice drills. Have a place to meet if phones go down, list of telephone numbers written on paper, list of addresses on paper, vehicle descriptions and plate numbers, etc.
Hope it helps.